Sunday, November 30, 2008

Inhale...

I have discovered two things in the last week and a half.

One. I want to find my place in the entertainment industry. I have decided that they need me. When I say me, I mean people like me. That still sounds cocky. Let me explain. For the past year-ish I have been questioning whether or not I should stick to the major I have chosen in college. I've had some strong doubts as to the likelihood of my surviving and making a living in the theatre/film world. This is rooted in the fact that I have very high standards for what I will do as an actor. Very few people who have succeeded in the entertainment industry will limit themselves as I have limited myself. Or at least, this is my perception of the acting world. Anyway, I have seriously considered up and quitting as I have all but convinced myself that I will fail. Of course, this was Rebecca deciding that this was just too big for her to do. Why bother, right? As if I don't believe in the Almighty God of the universe. As if He couldn't make it happen. As if this was just too much for Him. Oh silly, silly girl that I am. I've been reading a book that my grandparents sent me. It's called Roaring Lambs. The author is a Christian who has made a career for himself in the entertainment industry, and he talks about how they need more people of faith in this area. I haven't finished yet, but it's a good read. Grab a copy. That and a few other things that I've heard different people say have been little pushes nudging me in a different direction. So, finally, I have come to the decision that, with God's help, I will find my place in this world, and hopefully, do my part to further His kingdom there.

Two. Low budget costume design is very much a time consumer. It is also very stressful if your name is Rebecca and you made the mistake of putting too much of the work off because you were too focused on the other play you were in at the time. Learn from my consistent mistake of procrastination. It's not worth whatever the nothing was that you were doing when you should have been doing something else. Like blogging.

No comments: